Summer is quickly coming to an end, which means cool, crisp fall weather is just around the corner. That said, we thought we would show you a great way to incorporate a summer favorite into a dish that brings to mind all the warmth and comfort we love about fall – zucchini fritters.
Zucchini fritters are a perfect vegetarian appetizer, and they also make a great substitute for those who are not fans of seafood or clam cakes.
- 2 medium-large zucchinis
- 1 small Vidalia onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups of Drum Rock Products Fritter & Clam Cake Mix
- 1-¼ cup water
- Ice cream scoop
- Frying oil
1. Grate the zucchini using a mandolin or food processor into a roughly cut mash (don’t over process). Toss zucchini with salt. Finely dice onion to approximately the same size as zucchini.
2. Fill fryolator with oil and turn to 375° F.
3. Put the 2 cups of Fritter mix in bowl and add zucchini, onion, and garlic; slowly mix in water, a ½ cup at a time until batter reaches desired consistency. Do not over mix; let sit for 5-10 minutes.
4. Carefully drop the batter into the fryolator using an ice cream scoop (we recommend using a #50). Each fritter should take from 2-3 minutes to cook; work in batches, taking care to turn them over so they are golden-brown all over and cooked thoroughly.
5. Once cooked, remove fritters from oil and place on a paper plate/towel to drain.
6. Serve hot. Feeds about 6 to 8 people.
While zucchini fritters are certainly delicious all on their own, we think that a little bit of sour cream on the side gives a great creamy cool balance. Also, we decided to dunk a few in some applesauce and were pleasantly surprised.
Give Drum Rock Zucchini Fritters a try today.. You'll be happy you did - we promise!