If you are a true fan of New England cuisine, then you know there are few things better than fresh clam cakes. But today, we thought we’d introduce you to a close contender – Chocolate Chip Fritters.
How amazing do fresh fluffy fritters with deliciously creamy pockets of chocolaty melted goodness sound? Exactly! And they're definitely something you just have to try!!
Chocolate Chip Fritters
- 3 cups Drum Rock Fritter & Clam Cake Mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup chocolate chips of choice (we used milk chocolate chips & chunks)
- Mixing bowl
- Ice cream scoop
- Powdered sugar or Cinnamon sugar, optional
Tip: For best results, it is a good idea to put your chocolate in the freezer for an hour, or even overnight. This helps prevent the chips from melting out of the fritters into the oil.
1. Fill the fryolator with oil and turn to 375° F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, put 3 cups Drum Rock Fritter & Clam Cake Mix and add in the chocolate chips; slowly mix in water, a ½ cup at a time until batter reaches desired consistency (should be thicker than pancake batter, but looser than cookie dough). Do not over mix; let sit for 5-10 minutes.
3. Once the oil is up to temp, carefully drop the batter into the fryolator using an ice cream scoop (we recommend using a #50). Each fritter should take about 2-3 minutes to cook; work in batches, taking care to turn them over so they are golden-brown all over and cooked thoroughly.
4. Once cooked, remove fritters from oil and place on a paper plate/towel to drain.
Cool slightly before enjoying. Serves 6-8 people.
These fritters tasted just like little chocolate chip pancakes rolled into a ball! That said, we think they would be amazing drizzled with a bit of maple syrup. And, a scoop of your favorite ice cream on top wouldn't hurt either – after all, what dessert doesn't taste better a la mode?!